Thursday, June 16, 2011

Katie Wattenbarger: The Bigger Picture

We got started working pretty early today. Right after breakfast we worked together to make sack lunches that we would later hand out to the homeless. But before delivering the meals, we all worked with a non profit organization called Groundwork Anacostia, which is dedicated to renewing and restoring distressed neighborhoods through environmental projects and programs. We picked up trash along a park trail and picked weeds along the newly graveled path. We also learned about some of the other projects Groundwork Anacostia is doing to beautify Washington D.C.
     We left Groundwork and headed to a park where many homeless reside during the day. We had been out in the sun all morning picking up trash and weeding, and even though we were all exhausted, we delivered all of the lunches we made with a smile on our faces. The men and women were so thankful for what we were doing, and vocally expressed their appreciation. One man commended us on "doing God's work." His statement really opened my eyes to the bigger picture. This morning, picking up trash and weeding didn't seem like a big deal; I didn't feel like I was making a difference. But that man helped me see that I was showing God's love through my actions- no matter how small those actions may seem to me. KATIE

No comments:

Post a Comment